Thursday, August 21, 2014

Google Chrome Issues and Why They're Not

My husband and I have recently been arguing about Google. Essentially, he thinks that Google is the pinnacle of perfection, whereas I think ... well, I just think he's wrong.

Therefore, when my Google Chrome browser began experiencing problems that lagged the Internet throughout our entire household, eliciting screams of despair from three males at once, I blamed Google. Little did I know at the time that I was actually correct.

As it turns out, Google Chrome has a little issue with Adobe Shockwave Flash. Basically, when I was perusing multiple open Chrome browser tabs at once, Chrome was apparently also trying to run multiple instances of Flash at once, causing severe lag and leading to eventual Flash crashes on all of my open windows.

After I looked up this problem, I discovered that the best solution appears to be setting all of my plug-ins to a sort of use-on-demand state, where I can choose to either turn a plug-in on or keep it off on a given tab, as per my whim. (You can do this in Google Chrome's advanced settings under "Privacy." Click "content settings," scroll down to "Plug-ins," and select "Click to Play".) For me, this means that Flash does not attempt to run every time I open a browser tab in Chrome, thereby bypassing the whole "Flash crash/super lag/male screaming fit" thing.

After making this change, I can now peacefully open multiple browsing tabs using Chrome without causing a masculine meltdown. But, more importantly, this whole debacle reveals just one more chink in Google's armor. Take that, husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment